Feature photo by Liam Norris


Royal Military College extends condolences to family on death of Officer Cadet

Officer Cadet Jeffrey Daniel Remmelgas

A first-year cadet at the Royal Military College was found dead in Kingston on Thursday.

Officer Cadet Jeffrey Daniel Remmelgas had been reported missing since Oct. 13.

Police say foul play is not suspected in the death of the 19-year-old.

Here is the statement from Brigadier-General Sébastien Bouchard:

”It is with great sadness that I inform you that Officer Cadet Jeffrey Daniel Remmelgas was found dead yesterday, Thursday, October 26. Officer Cadet Remmelgas was declared a missing person on October 13, and his body was found after an extensive search led by the City of Kingston Police. Jeffrey was a 1st year Arts student training to be an Infantry Officer.




GAUTHIER, André D. Col. (Ret’d) Peacefully in the presence of family on Thursday October 26, 2017 at the age of 82. Predeceased by his loving wife Francoise (nee Proulx), his son Jacques, brother Edouard (Savitri) and his sister Louise. He leaves behind his loving children Edouard (Anna) of Winnipeg and Madeleine (Harry McHugh) of Victoria. Beloved grandfather of Bryce and Chantal Gauthier and Charlotte and Scout McHugh. He is survived by his brother Paul (Sandy) of Montreal, sister Michelle of Seattle and sister-in-law Jacqueline (André) of Ottawa. André was a very accomplished military officer and diplomat with a distinguished career ranging from the former Colonel Commandant of NDHQ, military advisor to the MBFR Talks in Vienna and Military Attaché. He was also a very gifted artist and sculpted many statues and monuments that recognize the many branches of the Canadian Armed Forces. On October 21, 2017 his last monument, “The Return” was unveiled in Kirkland, QC in honor of returning soldiers. Also Astronaut Chris Hatfield receivied a statue on October 28, 2017, the Birchall Leadership Award. He worked tirelessly to the very end, it’s now time to rest. Rest in peace Papa. Family and friends may pay respect at the Kelly Funeral Home-Orleans 2370 St. Joseph Blvd Orleans, On K1C 1G1 613-837-2370 Thursday November 2, 2017 after 9 am followed by a Funeral Mass at Paroisse St-Joseph, 2757 Boul. St. Joseph at 11 a.m. In memoriam donations to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation would be appreciated.


Ken Mitchell


On 20 October, 2017 peacefully at home at Picton, Ontario in his 81st year, with family at his side. He is survived by Virginia, the love of his life and best friend for 56 years, sons Eric and Dean and grandchildren Jennifer and Kevin, and his brother Tom.

Born in Ottawa in 1937 Ken attended schools in Mimico, Ontario; Clarenceville, Quebec; Montreal, Quebec; St Jean, Quebec; and Toronto, Ontario. Grade four was a tough two years. He joined the RCAF auxiliary in 1954 and trained as an airframe technician, attaining the rank of Aircraftsman First Class serving with 401, City of Westmount Squadron servicing Vampire, T-33 and Harvard airplanes at RCAF St. Hubert. He graduated from the High School of Montreal in 1956. He joined the ranks of horrible little men at the Collège Militaire Royal de St. Jean on 6 September 1956. Having memorized his room number, college number, rifle number, and laundry number he graduated from the Royal Military College of Canada in 1961 and was commissioned as a Technical Aeronautical Engineering officer in the RCAF. He married Virginia Lambert in 1961 and attended the University of Toronto earning a BASc in Mechanical Engineering in 1962.

Their first son, Eric, was born in June 1962 and was able to join them on posting to #3 Operational Training Unit, RCAF Bagotville. He arrived just in time to attend to the arming of the OTU’s elderly CF- 100 airplanes making them ready to launch against the threat of the Soviet bomber force during the Cuban missile crisis. Virginia and Ken took delivery of their second son Dean, in June 1964.

Promoted to Flight Lieutenant in 1964 and posted to Air Force Headquarters he served as a technical intelligence analyst. He was then posted to the Directorate of Aircraft Production Engineering as project manager for the Tutor training airplane and design authority for the Tutor airframe and engine. Following completion of Tutor production he was the project engineer for the procurement of the French built Fan Jet Falcon executive jet transport.

He was posted to the U.S. Navy Test Pilot School, Patuxent River, Maryland where he qualified as a Flight Test Engineer in 1967. This was the golden age of flight test when data were collected using hand held force gauges, tape measures, stop watches and cockpit instruments; all recorded in pencil on a test card clipped to a knee board. A photo-panel that recorded cockpit instruments was the acme of data recording but writing the numbers on a knee board while flying upside down was more fun.

He was posted to Edwards Air Force Base, California where he supervised the contractor flight tests of the CF-5 Airplane. He flew with the RCAF project test pilot when he used a T-33 to maintain his proficiency practicing his aero wifferdills. On one memorable trip they flew as low as possible through Death Valley trying to make the altimeter read in negative numbers. Promoted to the rank of Major in 1969, he was posted to RMC Kingston for post graduate studies in mechanical engineering.

The RMC post graduate course was outstanding and he was even allowed to teach propulsion technology to the fourth year mechanical engineers for his final semester. Teaching that very bright class of 1971 RMC mechanical engineers was both a challenge and fun.

On completion of post graduate studies in 1971 he was posted to CFB Cold Lake, Alberta to serve a two year tour at the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment (AETE). Leading six junior flight test engineers, they were continuously challenged with new and interesting projects. He was lead engineer on the AETE flight evaluation of the Dassault G-8 swing wing fighter prototype at Istres, France and the DC-10 in the Long Range Patrol Aircraft role at Los Angeles, California. With lots of flying and great projects he was having far too much fun so it was time for a posting to the Canadian Forces Staff College in Toronto.

Staff College was a delightful course of study. It squeezed a lot of professional information into a year that went by all too quickly. On completing Staff College in 1974, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and was appointed Base Technical Services Officer at Canadian Forces Base Bagotville, Quebec.

Bagotville was a challenge. Looking after a crumbling base infrastructure and a fleet of aging CF-101 Voodoo airplanes filled the days. NORAD no notice, zero-dark-thirty base recalls exercising the base’s ability to load the Voodoo fleet with nuclear weapons, unload and then launch against exercise targets kept everyone on their toes.

In 1976 he was posted to CFB Borden as Chief Instructor, Canadian Forces School of Aerospace and Ordnance Engineering. There he led ten training companies including air and land technical officer training and the technical trades as well as air traffic controllers and fire fighters. He developed the plan for introducing technical training on the new Leopard tank. He learned a lot about the army and how they operated and maintained equipment in the field. A secondary duty as chairman of the base museum committee was a delight. He inaugurated the museum’s Air Force collection.

In 1978, he was appointed Senior Test Engineer, at the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment, Cold Lake, Alberta. Great projects, great engineers and pilots, some flying; if only the career managers would simply forget about him and leave him there forever!

In 1980 he was promoted to the rank of Colonel and appointed Base Commander, CFB St. Jean. Base commanding in the other official language was a challenge. Early in his last year at St. Jean he started evening courses in German. Thus when his career manager asked about the next posting he suggested Germany. But his career manager had a better idea.

In July 1983 Virginia and Ken started a year-long Czech Language course. As well, he studied photography and the names of Soviet and Czech military equipment. They trained in anti-terrorist driving and learned to live under surveillance. In 1984 Ken was posted to Prague as the Canadian Forces Military Attaché. With Virginia driving he toured the country making useful observations for the NATO intelligence analysts to ponder. Ken awarded Virginia the Moravian Motoring Medal in recognition of her outstanding and brave performance behind the wheel. Collecting by day and playing diplomat at receptions and dinners by night was as much fun as it was possible to have. A colleague remarked that he was amazed that we actually got paid to do the work. Living and observing life in a communist police state was an unforgettable experience. Working with NATO colleagues was outstanding. Dodging the uniformed and secret police and camping in Slovakia on collection missions added spice to the three very interesting years of adventure.

For his final posting he was appointed Commanding Officer of 3 Canadian Forces Technical Services Agency in Toronto. The task was to assure the quality of goods and services produced in Ontario for the Department of National Defense and other NATO countries. He visited manufacturing plants to see how the work of his organization was done. No two places were alike. He read the book and still could not understand how quality assurance was created. The troops inspected product according to self-generated checklists and signed. There was no training for the troops and so methodology was passed on from the old hands to the new.

He therefore set out to discover the principles of QA and apply them to the some 700 contractors under supervision. What he found by actually reading the contracts was that the prime contractor was responsible for quality control (QC). It was the contractor’s responsibility to establish that the product conformed to the technical specification. It was DND’s task to establish that he was doing just that. Most contractors performed. If not, the project manager was notified. The military project manager was always free to waive the quality requirement and accept the material anyway. Supervisors were trained on QA audit procedures and they trained their people. Then his team re-wrote the book on how to do the work. Once the new system was up and running troops were enthusiastic since for the first time they had clear instructions on how to do the job.

While struggling at this task he was summoned to Ottawa in March of 1989 and assigned the task of planning and leading a four person team to perform a 48 hour on-site inspection of a Czechoslovak divisional exercise under the terms of the 1987 Stockholm agreement. The exercise was scheduled for June 1989. He decided to do an audit comparing the details contained in the exercise announcement with what was found on the ground. He trained the team in photography, Soviet and Czech equipment recognition, and took them to Camp Wainwright Alberta where the Canadian Army provided a useful training aid in the form of a divisional exercise in the spring of 1989. The team trained, rehearsed and went to Europe, did the inspection, wrote the report and disbanded. One junior officer team member remarked that the inspection went off just like the Camp Wainwright rehearsal. Right! A few months later the Berlin Wall came down along with Communism.

The Cold War being over he took early retirement in 1991.

He worked on contract in the United Arab Emirates in the Middle East for a year and in 1992 moved to Picton in beautiful Prince Edward County, Ontario. There he assisted Virginia to fulfill her dream to operate a Bed & Breakfast in an historic 1875 home. Virginia spoke highly of his bed making skills (RMC training) and his ability to entertain her guests at breakfast. He served as chairman of the Picton Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee and chairman of the board of directors of the Prince Edward County Community Development Corporation. They stopped doing B&B in 1999. It was all mostly super fun and where it as not so much fun it was very, very interesting.

Thanks to Dr. Matthews and the terrific gang of nurses at the Kingston General Hospital and the Napanee Cancer Centre who took such good care of him until the leukemia caught up with him. As he put it, he did not so much battle the disease as engage in a prolonged period of peaceful co-existence with it.  Special thanks to everyone who provided end-of-life care, especially Dr Blanchard and Dr Beach, and nurse Ann Robinson.

Known by all for his integrity, decisiveness, creative problem-solving and keen wit, Ken was also a charming and brilliant raconteur. We shall all miss the many humorous retellings of stories from his seemingly bottomless reservoir of riveting anecdotes. Night after night his tales, always entertaining and instructive, kept everyone at the table long after the meal was over, but of course, glasses were never empty.

Ken requested that there be no religious services or ceremonies. The party’s over now.

A private interment of ashes will take place at the National Military Cemetery, Beechwood, Ottawa. Memorial Donations to Hospice Prince Edward would be much appreciated.

Submitted by son, Eric Mitchell


2834 Palle Kiar RMC’52

Palle Kiar

KIAR, Palle March 17, 1929 – October 17, 2017 Born in Shawinigan Falls, QC to Maria and Mogens Kiar, Danish immigrants. Died peacefully, in his favourite chair at home, in Ottawa, ON. Survived by former wife Liane Smith (Belle-Isle). Deeply missed by his wife of 40 loving years, Dr. Marie Kiar (Liskova) formerly of the Czech Republic. Palle’s legacy lives on in the lives of his three children Ron (Lisee), Steve (Judy) and Lynda Scrivens. He has been an important part of the lives of his ten grandchildren, Jeffrey (Susana), Liane (Pablo Del Valle), David (Karla), Erika Scrivens (Shane Balcom), Kristen Scrivens (Jesse), Gillian Scrivens, Graham Scrivens (Sarah), Emily (Adam Goto), Heather (Rafal) and Greg (Heather). He enjoyed meeting 10 great-grandchildren, Eloise, Frederik and William Kiar, Aubry Balcom and Beckett Scrivens, Olivia, Emma and Alyssa Kiar, Penelope and Marcus Del Valle, and anticipating the up-coming birth of baby-Goto. Predeceased by brother Ole Kiar (Kitty) and sister Bitten Thompson (Peter). Long-time parishioner of St. Bartholomew’s Anglican Church (The Venerable Canon, Reverend David Clunie, Priest), New Edinburgh, Ottawa; which Palle referred to as his “Spiritual Home”. Graduated from Shawinigan Falls High School in 1947. He was part of the first class at the Royal Military College after WWII, graduating with a BA in 1952. He was a sub-lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve. Palle completed his formal education at McGill University, graduating with a BSc in 1953. He had a long and distinguished career with Bell Canada, climbing to vice president, retiring in 1984. Palle was in many ways the heart of the Kiar family, always generous, interested, supportive and welcoming. He created long-standing and much loved traditions and celebrations that wove the family together even through all its transitions. Palle remained engaged with and interested in life until the end. After retirement he enjoyed theology courses at St. Paul’s University, Nantucket Lighthouse basket weaving, stained glass making, golf and many lovely summers cruising with Marie on the Marie Antoinette. He enjoyed travelling with Marie around the world for many years. Heartfelt thanks to the Ottawa Heart Institute, especially Dr. Lisa Mielniczuk and her staff, Dr. Marty Green, Dr. W. Keon, Dr. Don Beanlands Senior, Dr. Ed O’Brien, Dr. Froeshl, and his family physician, Dr. Rob Taylor. Also to visiting ParaMed nurses, and others who helped Palle remain at home in his final years. Funeral arrangements under the care of Beechwood, Funeral, Cemetery and Cremation Services. A private interment has taken place at Beechwood Cemetery. A Memorial Service will be held at St. Bartholomew’s Anglican Church (125 MacKay Street, Ottawa), on Monday, October 23, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. Memorial donations appreciated to the Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation. Messages of Condolence may be left at