Deaths | Décès

Deaths | Décès

more / plus



Le 14 novembre, c’est avec une profonde tristesse que nous avons appris le décès de notre fille Vanessa, membre très appréciée de l’équipe du CMR Saint-Jean et adjointe au directeur des élèves-officiers.

Vanessa complétait un cours de carrière au Collège de commandement et d’état-major de l’Armée de terre à Kingston, en Ontario. Elle était membre du 12e Régiment blindé du Canada.

Nous recevrons les condoléances le 3 décembre de 09h00 à 15h30 au Complexe funéraire Claude Marcoux, 1845 Boul. Guillaume-Couture, Lévis, Qc, G6W 5M6. La famille, les collègues et les amis sont bienvenus. Une cérémonie religieuse et militaire aura lieu à 15h30. Un goûter sera offert après la célébration.


3010 MCLOUGHLIN, Eugene Peter 1929-2016 – RMC Club President – 1987-88

On Sunday, November 13, 2016, at the age of 87, the world lost a truly great leader, Eugene Peter McLoughlin (known by many as Peter or Pete).Peter lived life to the fullest, making everything a challenge or an adventure. He was born on April 9,1929 to loving parents Eugene Joseph McLoughlin (1894-1980) and Ferdinande Dormer (1902 – 1938). Peter lost his mother to tuberculosis at the young age of 9 and was sent to Ireland with his two sisters, June Mary (1931)and Sylvia (1936-2011), to live with his grandmother, Joanna Roche (1859-1949), while his father was called to serve with the RAF in World War 2. He spent many wonderful years at Glenstal Abbey, where he made lifelong friendships. Foremost was Billy Lacy, who brought him home for a visit. On that visit, he met the loveof his life, Helena (‘Helen’) Lacy. On their first date, he brought Helen to a movie where he desperately tried to impress her with his (limited) knowledge of the subject of the movie, Spanish dancing. The rest is history.

Peter was well-acquainted with the headmaster of Glenstal, having been summoned to ‘explain’ his many adventures with experimental cherry and pipe bombs. His ‘creations’ were on display in a glass cabinet at the abbey until the staff determined how to dispose of them safely. From Glenstal, he went to Downside Abbey for further schooling in England, again making lifelong friendships.

Peter returned back to British Columbia from England, where he attended Royal Roads Military College in 1948, which was its first year as a tri-service Canadian Services College. Upon his return from England, he often dressed formally, prompting the younger cadets at the College to salute him, thinking he must be an officer. Explaining his nick name of “the Duke”. After two years at Royal Roads, he transferred to the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, where he graduated in 1952 as part of the first class to graduate following the closure of RMC as a college in 1942 when the facility was dedicated to wartime training.

Peter then entered the RCAF and became a highly skilled test pilot. He even survived a crash where he was testing a plane that pilots were losing their lives attempting to fly. He ended up in a field, where a local farmer presented him with a shot of whisky. He later was able to tell the RCAF what was wrong with the plane and how to correct it by installing stall strips. The grateful Air Force presented him with the mounted engraved tail of the million-dollar jet that he crashed! He was later presented with the Caterpillar Pin for having survived by parachute after bailing out of a disabled aircraft.

Peter never forgot Helen, and in 1953 returned to Ireland to marry his sweetheart and bring her back to Canada. They lived in Gimli, Manitoba, where they had their first of four children, Ursula (1954).

Peter left the military to join a pharmaceutical company called ‘Horner,’ based in Toronto, and quickly gained a reputation for marketing innovation. He was perhaps the first in the pharmaceutical Industry to take thousands of medical professionals (doctors and pharmacists) to exotic places for educational seminars. His three other children were born in Toronto: Eugene Guy (1959), Adele (1962) and Peta (1966).

He then moved to Horner’s head office in Montreal, moving the family to the Montreal’s West Island.

In 1979, Peter then started his own pharmaceutical company, Dormer Laboratories, which specialized in dermatologicals and which he named after his mother, ‘Ferdy’ Dormer.Dormer Laboratories, originally established in Rigaud, Quebec, still operates today, now headquartered in Toronto.

Peter was all about life, history and living life to the fullest; he touched so many hearts in so many ways. Always one to be involved in issues important to him, he was very involved with the RMC Club and the Saab Club, and had initiated the homeowners’ association for Mountain Ranches, which is kindly donating funds to local palliative care in Peter’s name. He loved sailing, sports cars, genealogy, history and nature.

He was so proud of his 4 children (Ursula, Guy, Adele and Peta) and his 8 grandchildren: Anna (1985), Rosie (1988), and Katie (1993) Thompson (children of Ursula & Mark); David (1992) (who married Mallory Barrie in 2016), Melissa (1995), and Matthew (1997) Pley, (children of Adele & Michael); and Sophia (2005) and Ava (2009) Simone (children of Peta & Romeo).

He is the loving uncle to Lise Bendrodt & Breta Keyshaw and grand-uncle to Isabella & Harrison;  all from Vancouver, BC.

Godfather and uncle to Helen Jameson of Rosslare, Ireland; uncle to William, Peter, Alex, and Lisa Lacy; uncle to Douglas, Michael, Julie and Helen Heather; uncle to Sandra, Mandy and David Delamer; and, uncle to Connor and Shane Fogerty, all from Howth, Ireland.

Brother in law to Billy & Trudy Lacy, Ida & Peter Delamer, Ursula & Michael Heather, and Alice Fogerty.

The funeral will take place at St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Hudson, Quebec at 11 a.m. on Saturday November 26, 2016. There will be visitation on November 25 from 7-9 p.m. and again prior to the funeral from 9:30 to 11 a.m.Afterward, all are invited to follow Peter to his resting spot, followd by a wake with light refreshments.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the RMC Foundation at or contacting Jennifer Jordan directly at [email protected] or 613-541-6000 X6807.

Donations will also be welcomed at the Hudson Palliative Care Centre

Overseas relatives may wish to give to Glenstal Abbey’s numerous projects, please contact John O’Callaghan at [email protected].



3003 Robert S. Peacock (April 12, 1929 – November 08, 2016)

Colonel Robert Stirling Peacock, CD (PPCLI). Born Windsor, Ontario on April 12, 1929 and passed away November 8, 2016 at Saanich Peninsula Hospital. Survived by beloved partner Mary Elizabeth Akenson, her son Colin (Suzie) and daughter Gillian, grandchildren Gwendolyn and Eli; son David, sister Mrs. Shirley Potter and nieces Marni (Jim) and Valerie (Chris) and grand-nephew Liam. He was predeceased by his wife Donna Peacock. Bob will also be greatly missed by his extended family and his numerous friends on Vancouver Island and in the East.

A native of Hamilton, Bob entered Royal Roads in 1948, graduating from the Royal Military College in 1952. Upon graduation he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry and deployed to Korea serving in 1PPCLI and 3PPCLI. The 1950s and 60s saw successive Regimental and staff postings in Canada and in Germany including an exchange posting to the British Army in Germany as a divisional Staff Office. In 1967, promoted to lieutenant colonel, Bob took command of 2PPCLI at Fort McLeod in Iserlohn, Germany commanding for two years. In 1969, Bob returned 2PPCLI to Canada and took up the post of Vice Commandant at Royal Roads. From Royal Roads Bob was posted to the International Commission of Control and Supervision in Vietnam which oversaw the cease-fire and withdrawal of US forces. Promoted to colonel in 1973, Bob was posted to Vienna and the Mutual and Balanced Force Reduction talks then underway between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. After many years out of the country Bob returned to Canada and was posted to the National Defence College as a member of the Directing Staff. Finally, after more than 30 years of active service Bob retired in 1980 and started a second career with the Ontario Ministry of Health, Health Insurance Division.

After ten years with OHIP Bob retired to Victoria but continued to serve as a Board Member of the Corps of Commissionaires for Victoria. He was an active member of the PPCLI Association and the Vancouver Island Ex-Cadet Club. Bob was a lover of history and wrote many articles on all aspects of Regimental history. Retirement also allowed him to indulge his passion for gardening, traveling and cooking. Bob was also a lover of music regularly attending performances by the Victoria Symphony and the Pacific Opera.

A memorial service will be held at 3 pm November 17th at Holy Trinity Church, North Saanich. Reception to follow. In lieu of flowers please make a donation to the Saanich Peninsula Hospital Foundation.


2726 EVERETT, Alfred William “Bill”

August 2, 1921 – November 8, 2016

Peacefully and with quiet dignity, Bill passed away on November 8, 2016.

Bill was predeceased by his wife Mary (nee Milner), his son Jamie, his parents Horace and Catherine Everett and his sister Kay Pennock. He will be lovingly remembered by his children, Bill (Suzanne), David (Holly), Margot (Ralph) and Peter (Georgina) and his grandchildren, Katie (Geordie), Sarah, James (Alexis), Darcy (Robert), Liam (Jessie), James (Amy), Douglas (Rebekah), Geoffrey (Neisha), Mollie, Elisabeth and Mac and his great-grandchildren Nicola, Andrew, Britton, Poppy, Maya and Teagan.

Bill was born in Duncan and raised in Comox and Vancouver. He attended Maple Grove and Point Grey High School before attending University School on Vancouver Island. In 1939 he was accepted into Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario. In 1941, he joined the Canadian Navy and was assigned to the Royal Naval College in Dartmouth, England where he graduated as a Midshipman. Bill joined the war effort aboard the British Battleship HMS King George V and was later transferred to the Aircraft Carrier HMS Victorious. In 1943, he was assigned to serve on the HMCS Saskatchewan escorting convoys to Murmansk and later served on the HMCS Kootenay. By the time he left the Navy, Bill had achieved the rank of Lieutenant and had been mentioned in Dispatches for distinguished service.

Following the war, Bill met Mary in Halifax, was married in Calgary and began working for the family business in Winnipeg, where he settled and raised his family. Family was Bill’s first priority and he was always there to offer his love, encouragement and support. He was very involved in the Winnipeg business and sporting community as a director of the Blue Bombers and part owner of the Winnipeg Goldeyes baseball team. He also served as the Aide-de-camp to the Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba. When the family business expanded to Vancouver, Bill took the opportunity to return to the city he had grown up in and considered home. He again became very involved in the Vancouver business, arts and sporting community, serving as a director of the Bank of B.C., the Vancouver Art Gallery and the B.C. Lions.

Bill lived an energetic and interesting life. His years in the Navy inspired his interest in Canadian maritime art which he spent much of his life researching, collecting and ultimately donating most of his collection to the Vancouver Maritime Museum and Victoria Art Gallery. He was extremely proud of his family and it was very important to him to write a book (which he did after he turned 90) about the family’s history to pass on to future generations. His book is a tremendous accomplishment and treasured by the family. He enjoyed a very active social life, loved travelling, playing golf and being with his many friends. He liked simple pleasures like getting in the car and exploring the city and finding good places to buy fresh produce. Bill was a true gentleman and widely respected.

The family extends their heartfelt thanks for the love, care and support provided by Mimi Vaugier and Dorothy Tam. We also wish to thank Dr. Brad Fritz for his kindness and professionalism in the care he provided, which gave Bill such comfort and confidence. Finally, we express our sincere appreciation for the care and kindness provided by all the staff at Arbutus Manor and more recently, the veteran’s senior facility at St. Vincent’s Brock Fahrni Pavilion.

An Eight Bells Memorial Service will be held Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. at the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club, Jericho Station, followed by a Celebration of Life in the Clubhouse at 4:00 p.m.

Donations in lieu of flowers may be sent to St. Vincent’s Brock Fahrni.

Published in Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on Nov. 19, 2016