The Grant Building, the three story main academic building at Royal Roads Military College was renovated in 2002-3. The extensive use of glass and light oak has changed the look of the building. The interior of the 60 year old 62,000-square foot building was re-vamped and the north side of the building was transformed. Construction of the Cadet Block began in 1942 and was completed in 1943. The building was re-named the Grant Block in 1956 in honor of the naval college’s first commandant- John Moreau Grant. The biggest renovation challenge, was to upgrade the building to seismic code while preserving the heritage character of the building – particularly the historic Quarterdeck room that stretches across the centre of the second floor. The architects constructed a series of buttresses along the north side of the building – which will help absorb any seismic activity. The original building didn’t have any women’s washrooms, there was no access for people with handicaps. The high tech classrooms have screens, white boards, window coverings and presentation systems which can be adjusted from a central control panel. Since the building lacked the provisions required for today’s technology, 30-thousand meters of wiring were installed and over 17-thousand meters of data cable. Energy efficient features were implemented. Storm windows have been installed and wall insulation increased to save on heating; there are low flow water fixtures and water-less urinals. The air exchange unit (rather than the air conditioning) uses a method called night flushing that takes in cold air in the summer to cool the building overnight.