The Kingston Dockyard/Le Chantier Naval De Kingston

POINT FREDERICK AND THE KINGSTON DOCKYARD

Author: 3572 F.J. Norman, on behalf of the RMCC Museum Committee

Recent articles in the Summer and Autumn 2012 issues of Veritas have explored aspects of the War of 1812 with a focus on Point Frederick, the site of the Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC). Arguably the most important military site of the War in Upper Canada, the existence of the Kingston Dockyard had enormous strategic impact – without it, the War might well have been lost as it was the key to the resupply of the British forts to the west, and to the battles on Lake Ontario.

In the latter part of the Eighteenth Century, the Provincial Marine established a shipbuilding facility on the Point. Appropriated by the Royal Navy in 1813, the demands of creating and maintaining the Lake Ontario Fleet required the construction of extensive dockyard facilities. From these facilities, warships were launched (including the 112-gun HMS St Lawrence) in what became the ‘shipbuilders war’; the opposition was located close by at Sackets Harbor in New York. The aim was to gain strategic dominance of the Great Lakes waterway as both sides knew that losing control of the Great Lakes could determine the outcome of the inland War.

This story is a vital part of Canada’s history. Ships of the Fleet lie in adjacent waters, and the peninsula is an active, archeological treasure trove of material relating to the War. Now part of the UNESCO Rideau System World Heritage Site, National Historic Site plaques describe the Naval Yard, the Point Frederick Buildings and the Kingston Fortifications. Two others honour Commodore Sir James Yeo, RN, at 31 the eventual commander of all of the Great Lakes Squadrons, and the Rush-Bagot Agreement of 1817. As a group, the plaques draw attention to the historical importance of the Point. In addition, there is a Memorial, erected by Fort Henry at the foot of Fort Henry Hill in 1937:

PRO PATRIA 1812-1814

In Memory of the officers and seamen of the Royal Navy and Provincial Marine; and the officers and soldiers of the Royal Marines, Royal Newfoundland, Kings 8th, and 100th Regiments, who served on Lake Ontario in Defence of Canada in 1812-14.

Yet today most Canadians know little of this. The current Naval and Officer Cadets are otherwise busy, the joggers who run the Point seldom stop, and those tourists who visit the grounds are unaware – in short, the history of the Dockyard is an unknown quantity because it has never been told in a user-friendly manner. To help rectify this, in October 2012, the RMCC Museum Committee, with the Marine Museum, applied to Heritage Canada for Federal funding to create a self-guided walking tour of the Point Frederick sites, to tell the story through twelve illustrated, permanent story boards, supplemented by a bilingual brochure and access through QR Codes to additional information. The War of 1812 Commemoration Fund accepted the project outline and has granted $26,000 to produce the story boards, now being developed by the RMCC Museum Committee. The initial boards should be in place by Reunion Weekend 2013, the balance before March 2014.

The link between the boards is the state of the art of naval warfare of the time, with a description of the ship-building capabilities available for a fresh-water navy. The stories will include coverage of the Flight of the Royal George; the strategic importance of sea power on the Lakes; the projection of force; the Dockyard buildings and facilities; the Naval Hospital, and the burial ground.

The 1812 Project is the first step in a broader exposure of the heritage of the College today. The intent is to develop other tours (discussed during the 2001 Arch refurbishment) to welcome visitors to this National institution, ‘this ‘University with a difference’, ‘this Military College with an university within it’, this special place.


 

(Picture of the Commodore’s House, painted contemporaneously by Lieutenant Vidal, RN, showing HMS Canada and Wolfe under construction in the background. It is the property of the RMC)

_________________________________________________________________________________

LA POINTE FREDERICK ET LE CHANTIER NAVAL DE KINGSTON

Author: 3572 F.J. Norman, au nom de la commission du musée du CMRC

Des articles ont récemment paru à l’été et à l’automne de 2012 dans Veritas qui examinaient divers aspects de la guerre de 1812 en mettant l’accent sur la Pointe Frederick, le site actuel du Collège militaire royal du Canada (CMRC). Sans doute le plus important site militaire de cette guerre dans le Haut-Canada, l’existence du chantier maritime de Kingston avait un impact stratégique énorme – sans lui, la guerre aurait pu être perdue, car il possédait la clé du ravitaillement des forts britanniques à l’ouest et des batailles sur le lac Ontario.

La Marine provinciale avait établi un chantier naval vers la fin du XVIIIe siècle sur la pointe. La Royal Navy se l’appropria en 1813, car on avait besoin d’un vaste chantier naval pour créer et maintenir une flotte sur le lac Ontario. De ces installations, on lança plusieurs navires de guerre (y compris HMS St Lawrence de 112 canons) dans ce qui était devenu une « guerre de constructeurs de navires »; l’opposition était située à proximité, à Sackets Harbor dans l’état de New York. Le but était d’acquérir la domination stratégique de la voie navigable des Grands Lacs; les deux parties sachant que la perte de contrôle sur les Grands Lacs pourrait déterminer l’issue de la guerre à l’intérieur des terres.

Ces événements forment une partie importante de l’histoire du Canada. Les navires de la flotte mouillaient dans les eaux environnantes, et la péninsule recèle de trésors archéologiques reliés à cette guerre. Étant maintenant incorporée au site du patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO du Canal Rideau, on y retrouve des affiches du site historique national décrivant le chantier naval, les édifices sur la pointe Frederick et les fortifications de Kingston. Deux autres affiches honorent le commodore Sir James Yeo, RN, qui à 31 ans, deviendra le commandant de tous les escadrons des Grands Lacs et de l’Accord Rush-Bagot de 1817. Ces plaques reflètent l’importance historique de la pointe. En outre, il y a un mémorial, érigé près du Fort Henry érigé au pied de la colline en 1937.

PRO PATRIA 1812-1814

À la mémoire des officiers et marins de la Royal Navy, de la Marine provinciale, et des officiers et soldats des Royal Marines, du Royal Newfoundland, des 8e et 100e Kings regiments, qui ont servi sur le lac Ontario pour la défense du Canada en 1812-1814.

Pourtant, aujourd’hui, la plupart des Canadiens ignorent presque tout de ceci. Les élèves-officiers ont d’autres préoccupations, les joggeurs qui courent sur le tracé de la pointe s’arrêtent rarement, et les touristes qui visitent l’endroit n’en sont pas conscients — en bref, l’histoire de l’arsenal demeure inconnue, car elle n’a jamais été racontée d’une manière conviviale. Pour remédier à cette situation, en octobre 2012, le Comité du Musée du CMRC, en collaboration avec le Musée de la Marine, a fait une demande à Patrimoine Canada pour financer la création d’une visite pédestre autoguidée des sites de la pointe Frederick qui raconterait l’histoire sur douze panneaux illustrés complémentés par une brochure bilingue et des codes QR offrant de l’information supplémentaire. Le Fonds commémoratif de la guerre de 1812 a accepté les grandes lignes du projet et a accordé 26 000 $ pour la réalisation des panneaux illustrés en cours d’élaboration par le Comité du musée du CMRC. Les premiers panneaux devraient être en place lors du week-end de la réunion de 2013, et les autres avant mars 2014.

Le thème central des panneaux est l’art de la guerre navale de l’époque ainsi que la construction de navires spécifique à une marine d’eau douce. On y décrira la fuite du Royal George, l’importance stratégique de la puissance maritime sur les Grands Lacs, l’impression de la force, les bâtiments et les installations des chantiers maritimes dont l’hôpital naval, et le cimetière.

Le « projet 1812 » est la première étape d’une exposition élargie du patrimoine du collège tel qu’on le connait. L’objectif est de développer d’autres randonnées (discuté lors de la remise en état en 2001 de l’arche) afin accueillir les visiteurs à cette institution nationale, « cette Université qui affiche une différence », « ce Collège militaire avec une université en son sein », cet endroit spécial.

2 Comments

  • Paul Crober

    June 25, 2013 at 3:52 pm

    Well done to all responsible for this enhancement. Not sure how many people know how “Big”a 112-gun ship of the Napoleonic Age is. The Royal Navy had nothing much bigger actually — including HMS Victory. Amazing that such a ship was constructed on that site.

  • Darren Rich

    June 28, 2013 at 6:40 pm

    This is great news! Well done the M&M committee and all the volunteers in the background. I always made a point of telling visitors that RMCC was a Naval facility long before it became a military college.